Tuesday, January 6, 2009

NOT SURE I'LL MAKE IT

----------------
Listening to:
Coldplay - Clocks
via FoxyTunes
As some of you know, I got sucked into the cyclone of Twilight because of a co-worker. Unfortunately for Twilight, I had to jump off the cheese-o-meter. I'm not sure if I'll get back on, but I wanted to update my faithful few as to my progress, or lack thereof.

So far, I'm not impressed. Yes, parts of it are sweet and passionate without being (too) naughty (not that I mind naughty -- I am an adult, after all). Yes, you get sucked in because Meyer puts cliffhangers at the end of each chapter.

But I'm not sucked in because of the characters. I don't care what happens to Bella (partly because I already kinda know how the saga ends -- don't ask -- I just do). I don't care what happens to Edward. In fact, both Bella and Edward pretty much annoy the Hell outta me. They're whiny and clingy and controlling and all the things that drove me nuts about teenagers when I was a teacher. Only in Edward's case it's magnified a million times because, *sigh*, he's a vampire. Big effing deal. Get over yourself. And Bella, get over Edward.

I'm not sure if I'll finish this book. I'm certainly not going to finish the series. I know the ending, and frankly, I don't care how we get there. I'm also honestly surprised that a woman who was raised LDS and educated at BYU decided to write about one of the most lustful beings in literary history. Check out Bram Stoker's Dracula if you need a refresher.

No comments:

Post a Comment