Friday, August 15, 2008

THIS REALLY IS A DECREE

I am writing my first, true literary command: You must read The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. It is the most amazing book.

I read this book when I was a senior in high school and going through a lot with friendships and classmates. I always had trouble as a young person keeping friends. This has now changed, but in high school, losing friends was highly traumatic. This book came along at the height of my drama and taught me something very important: I don't have to do things on my own, but I can if I need to. I do have the power to create anything I want.

This is the lesson Peekay, the main character, is taught in the novel. He goes from a bullied little boy to an accomplished young man, fighting against apartheid inside and outside of the boxing ring. In the end, he learns that while he doesn't have to do things on his own, he, like me, can do it if he needs to.

I have attempted to reread this book many times, but each time, I get to a certain point and cannot do it again. This book was such a strong emotional journey for me that it is impossible at this point in my life to reread the book that made me cry on one page and laugh on the next, as it were. This book has made the rounds of my family, including my father, who never takes time to read. He spent an entire day finishing the last half of the book. He didn't work at all that day -- that is saying something.

Please take the time to read this book. It is wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, does it count if I've seen the movie and loved it?! :-) Love the new look of your blog, looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete