Monday, July 16, 2007

A TRIUMPHANT RETURN FOR JACK AUBREY

On my old book blog, I chronicled my reading of the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I have recently finished the 13th book, The Thirteen-Gun Salute, after waiting first, for the money to buy it, and second, for the bookstore to have it in stock.
The 12th book ended with Jack and Stephen on the Surprise as a letter of marque, or privateer, Jack having been struck off the list of captains. This book told of his return to the Naval List, which I was dying to happen, and how he and Stephen go to the South China Sea to meet with a sultan and form a treaty.

It was so nice, after a couple of months of a break, to be back with my two new favorite characters! I missed Aubrey and Maturin and O'Brian's writing. What a pleasure it was to travel with the two of them again. It was an interesting voyage. Of course, Aubrey and Maturin are such strong characters, but more dimensions than most other writers. O'Brian has to be my favorite writer right now. I thoroughly enjoy him and all his work I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment